[GSBN] Airtightness and ventilation

Feile Butler feile at mudandwood.com
Thu Mar 21 11:07:42 UTC 2013

Has anyone tried living walls? Allegedly 1m2 of living wall per 100m2 of floor space will do the trick for creating fresh air within a building. I'm not sure if this is only for office space and whether the occupation patterns of a home would require different treatment.

It's not maintenance free, but it's a different kind of maintenance - dare I say, enjoyable and theraputic. And if designed into a project properly at the beginning - it could be a stunning focal point in a home/building, rather than kit to be hidden out the back.

Low-tech, natural and beautiful - is it too good to be true?

Cheers

Feile

By the way, despite my previous vent (excuse the pun), I do not believe that air-tightness is bad and leaky buildings are good. I agree that we need to manage air movement in and out of buildings. But I sometimes wonder are we so focused on mechanical ventilation systems, could there be other elegant solutions that we are missing?

Féile Butler

MRIAI B.Arch Dip. Arch Conservation Grade III

Mud and Wood

Grange Beg, Skreen, Co. Sligo, Ireland

T:  +353 (0) 71 930 0488

M: +353 (0) 86 806 8382