[GSBN] SB Sound Proof Highway Walls

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 20 10:36:36 UTC 2013

Hello John,

I will dust off a (long) GSBN e-mail I sent on Nov 15, 2010 on this subject,
and forward it after this e-mail.  However a few updates as follows:

1. The link in that e-mail is now a dead end.

2. Tim Owen-Kennedy followed my e-mail, saying:  ³The Sound wall in Nevada
was built by Rick Green's Benchmark Development. and had a concrete tilt up
wall on one side.²
On Rick¹s website (http://www.benchmarkdevelopmentco.com/) in the Portfolio
it says:
LAS VEGAS VALLEY WATER DISTRICT
Las Vegas, NV
4,000 foot long - 10,000 rice straw bales ­ sound wall for Hwy. 95. Expected
completion 2002

3. I e-mailed Rick and will report any response.

4. I (and a few others on this list) recently discovered a private
unplastered straw bale wall on a rural two-lane highway in northern
California (photos attached).  Unplastered because it was in negotiation
with the County, about meeting highway guidelines for height, location and
appearance (and secondarily about its construction system).  I can attest,
by my direct experience, to its effectiveness (even unplastered) as an
acoustic barrier against highway traffic (though it certainly doesn¹t
eliminate the traffic noise).  I expect its performance will improve when
plastered.

5. The wall design includes what I¹ve always believed is a good idea for SB
landscape walls (if one wants to preserve the bales, and for acoustic
purposes you want the bales), which is a ³roof² with open ventilation for
the top of the wall.

I hope this helps.

Martin Hammer