[GSBN] Can bale buildings be air tight?

ejgeorge at riseup.net ejgeorge at riseup.net
Wed Mar 13 02:49:32 UTC 2013

Are you suggesting that the true rationale behind Passivhaus's .60
ACH50 number is that Wolfgang Feist is a Jose Theodore Fan? ;)

With regard to showing where infiltration occurs, the link below is
for Jacob Deva Rascusin's Energy Performance for Straw Bale Buildings
paper, including thermal imaging on 7 bale buildings in the Northeast
US.
Infrared pictures begin on page 40 and a summary of air leakage points
(& related moisture issues) is on pages 22-23. There's also some
suggestions for construction techniques and detailing in the
conclusion section.

www.newframeworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Research-Paper-2011_Final_Complete.pdf

cheers!

ej