[GSBN] Politics and individuals on GSBN

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Wed Nov 14 14:47:47 UTC 2012

I'm am disquieted by this question.  While any GSBN member can discuss whatever they choose with another member privately, I think it is risky to feature political discussions on GSBN.  Many successful Internet discussions have been damaged or destroyed by political discussions that took over and pushed out all other information exchange.

I'm not judging Tom's reasons for asking, nor asserting that I understand anything about this question and its posing.  Yet I don't remember anyone before being asked on this list to elaborate their position on any subject.  I don't think any of the individuals on this list are responsible for the actions of governments.  Nor do I think that people living in a given country are particularly more or less responsible for governmental decisions than those who live elsewhere.

My belief is that everyone on this list is working to help create a better world, and I hope for collaboration and mutual support, with a minimum of divisiveness and distrust.

Best wishes,
Derek

On Nov 14, 2012, at 6:56 AM, Tom Woolley wrote:

> Dear Alex
> Can you clarify your position on Palestine?
> I was asked to speak at a conference of the International Communal Studies Association at Findhorn,
> however it emerged that  ICSA, which is based in Israel, could not provide satisfactory answers to our questions about kibbutz that have been built on occupied palestinian land
> What I saw of the building stuff on your webs sites looks great but I couldn't find much about involving Palestinians (though it was mentioned on one site and I got the impression that Palestinians were involved) .
> thanks
>
> Tom
> PS I can send you the discussion document that was issued by ARC-PEACE on the issue of ICSA which led to a decision to boycott the ICSA conference if you are interested.
> I am not sure myself that boycotts are always the right thing to do as it can be important to support progressive people in israel

Derek Roff
derek at unm.edu