[GSBN] nomination and update

Alex Cicelsky (Kibbutz Lotan) alex at klotan.co.il
Wed Nov 14 12:22:03 UTC 2012

Dear Balefolk,

Two weeks ago we had a convergence of the core group of Israeli straw bale builders and designers, earth and lime plasterers and educators.  While it's a challenge to share knowledge in a limited marketplace, there is a process of development from competition to cooperation and quality control.   We spoke a lot about connecting with colleagues who are experts - in particular in the area of lime plastering which is being reborn in this country where 2000+ years ago everyone had a lime slaking pit in their backyard.  About 60 folk attended with an equal proportion of men and women. I assume you met Michal Vital at the ISBC. She presented an overview of your event and the tour.

I would like to take this opportunity to nominate Michal Vital [website http://www.vital-baron.com/   email mvital63 at gmail.com<mailto:mvital63 at gmail.com> ] to the GSBN.  We first met working together on the Medwed-Bustan-Wadi El Naam Bedouin Clinic project http://openarchitecturenetwork.org/projects/391.  Since then she's become a prominent and highly regarded Green Architect in the country specializing in natural building, strawbale houses and energy efficiency design.  She works wonderfully with clients, engineers and builders.

One more item: four of our students have started their own natural building construction company specializing in strawbales.  The name of the company is Bottz  www.bottz.co.il<http://www.bottz.co.il>  which is Mud in Hebrew.  The website is in Hebrew (y'all know how to use the Chrome translate option)  - the images speak for themselves.  Together with Bottz we have completed an earth plastered 'light straw' fire test wall<http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=412523248808887&set=pb.121279601266588.-2207520000.1352894815&type=3&theater> (photo http://on.fb.me/T30Fyi  before plastering.  For technical reasons they made blocks instead of the normative form-in-place method) and we're waiting for the Standards Institute of Israel to give us a date for the fire test, hopefully within two weeks.

B'shalom, Alex

Alex Cicelsky | Director of Research and Development
Center for Creative Ecology<http://www.kibbutzlotan.com/creativeEcology> | Kibbutz Lotan<http://www.kibbutzlotan.com/> 88855 Israel
+972-54-979-9009 |  alex at klotan.co.il<mailto:alex at klotan.co.il>
College, Training & Design Programs<http://www.kibbutzlotan.com/ga> | Eco-Network<http://www.facebook.com/lotan.ga> |  YouTube Channel<http://www.youtube.com/kibbutzlotan> | Free EcoGuide App<http://www.tinyurl.com/ecoguideapp> | BirdingIsrael<http://www.birdingisrael.com/>