[GSBN] Can bale buildings be air tight?

Chris Magwood chris at endeavourcentre.org
Tue Nov 13 12:13:59 UTC 2012

Hi all!

Maybe the question of whether or not a bale building can be built air
tight hasn't been keeping you all awake at night, but it's caused Jen
and I some long evenings of thought and lots of detail drawings on our
plans! Maybe that's just what keeps northerners warm at night...

We've been honing in on good results over the past couple of years, and
this year we finally nailed it (but didn't put a nail through it... that
would have been counter-productive). We just did a blower door test on
our most recent project and ended up with a result of 0.99 ACH50. That's
approaching the PassiveHaus goal of 0.6, and we realized after the test
that we hadn't covered up the open sump pit in the basement, so we may
actually get to PH levels with the final test.

The building has a mix of site-built, clay plastered walls and
prefabricated, lime/cement plastered walls. We've long used a system
that uses a flexible air barrier (house-wrap type membrane) at the edges
of the walls where the plaster will meet ceiling, floor and intersecting
walls. The membrane wraps down behind the plaster by 3-4 inches. What
was interesting with this building was to find that in some areas that
detail worked very well, and in others it didn't help much at all.

What this tells us is that unprotected plastered edges leak... a lot!
Our first blower test helped us discover that some of these seams were
leaky. One leaky wall accounted for a shocking 74 square inches of
leakage! By eye, it just looked like  the usual plaster shrinkage around
the edge of the wall, maybe 1/8 inch. But multiply that around an entire
home and it's no wonder that many bale buildings under perform in blower
door tests. You can see photos of these areas on our project blog at
http://endeavourcentre.org/2012/11/blower-door-test-1/

What we don't know is why some areas stayed tight and others didn't. Our
best guess is that it can come down to quality of work. How long was the
barrier tail left? How well was the mesh installed over it? How
vigorously was the plaster pushed into the mesh? The plaster pulling
away at the edge as it shrinks also seems to cause some slight bending
of the skin inward, taking it away from the barrier.

One good take-away from this project is about the beauty of clay
plasters. The leaky edges of the clay plastered walls were relatively
easy to address... moisten the edges a bit and squeeze in more clay mix.
Everything bonds together and the seams went from very leaky to
completely tight!

Now, if anybody happens to ask if them there bale houses can be air
tight, it's possible to answer yes.

Cheers,

Chris

--