[GSBN] Home Base natural building online library

Bruce King bruce at ecobuildnetwork.org
Fri Nov 9 16:35:50 UTC 2012

Greetings, Baleheads --

Some of you may have heard that we had an election here in the USA.  Fair to say that, at least for once, America said no to shrieking anger, and yes to compassion.  It's a fine moment.  The shrieking anger is still very much here, of course, but it won't quite be running the show in Washington for a while.

That's not why I write, but I had to start with that little Yippee.

Ecological Building Network is starting the Home Base Library -- a place where we can host and make accessible an online nexus connecting users with the technical information they need.  Engineering tests, white papers, field reports, codes, and standards will all be made available either as downloadable PDF documents, or by link to the authors’ websites.  We will also launch a collection of free, wiki-based guides to natural building techniques, and ultimately establish a physical library and conference facility tied to affiliate universities.

I ask for help!  This is a big project, and I'm not yet sure how it will be funded, but right off we need help expanding the Joomla website of EBNet, and then also guidance in setting up a wiki-based forum where, we hope, folks like you might be willing to post up simple guides like "earthen floor basics", "choosing straw bales", "bamboo joinery", etc.

I'll be glad to share more about the concept if you write me offline at  <bruce at ecobuildnetwork.org>.  If you can help with Joomla or wiki, please let me know.  The beginning of the Home Base Library can be seen here -- support for Martin Hammer's straw bale code work.

Thank you from a slightly less annoying US of A,

Bruce King

(415) 987-7271
Skype: brucekingokok
Twitter: @brucekinggreen
http://www.housetalk.us
http://bruce-king.com/

Categories

1. Industrial – by-products of factories and industry

1a Pozzolans

      slag

      fly ash

1b Fabrications

      shipping containers

1c Concrete

      rubble

      cast elements

1d Fibers

      wood

            “waswood” – castoffs of plywood, OSB, etc

      paper

      straw bales

1e Polymers

      tires

      plastic bags

2. Rural – by-products of site, farms & landscapes  aka “natural building”

2a Earth

            clay

            natural pozzolans

2b Fibers

            straw, straw bales

            wood

            bamboo

            hemp

3. Manufactured – new products in or entering the marketplace