[GSBN] Plaster thoughts

Alex Cicelsky (Kibbutz Lotan) alex at klotan.co.il
Sat Mar 3 23:44:25 UTC 2012

Dear Bruce, Tim and Mark,

Three points:
1. Not knowing what the climate is there (in particular humidity), type of sand (silicate or crushed lime) or clay mineral type, I can only share the if it's dry and the sand is silicate then my experience is that lime washes and thin lime plasters will peel off after the first rains.  I've seen even small amounts of cement cause good clay bricks to disintegrate - I assume because of the type of clay mineral.  I hope that's not what you're finding.
2. For many years we mixed our earth plasters using clay (from dried flood deposits and well drilling tailings), course - sharp sands (no fines - wind eroded Nubian sandstones quarried from sand dunes) and paper fibers -  newspaper, egg crates and cardboards soaked for 24 hours+ and broken down in a cement mixer.  These mud-paper plastered structures, pseudo 'earthship' - tires filled with plastic waste, have stood for 20 years with very little cracking and an amazing ability to get wet and dry out without disintegrating.
3. the exterior coating that we like best is used cooking oil using the ancient Steen 4 coat recipe: 100% oil (applied heavily with rollers), 75% oil + 25% turpentine, 50-50 and finally diluted to 25% oil with 75% turpentine.  We apply them one after another without waiting, best when it's hot and Always after the clay/sand plaster is completely bone dry.

We've found that maxing the sand  component in a final, thin plaster coat without straw creates the hardest protective layer - that's particularly appropriate where people (kids) come in contact with the wall / bench (otherwise they pick at the straw).

Good fortune and feel free to drop in since you're already on the continent.
Alex

Alex Cicelsky ~ Director of Research and Development ~ Center for Creative Ecology ~ www.kibbutzlotan.com/ga<http://www.kibbutzlotan.com/ga>
Kibbutz Lotan ~ D.N. Eilot 88855 Israel ~ Tel: +972-(0)54-979-9009 ~ Email: alex at klotan.co.il<mailto:alex at klotan.co.il>

Have an iphone/ipod/ipad and want to 'green' your home and lifestyle?  Download the Free Eco Guide App www.tinyurl.com/ecoguideapp<http://www.tinyurl.com/ecoguideapp>