[GSBN] Plaster thoughts

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Sat Mar 3 21:51:28 UTC 2012

Dear All

Must chime in here folks!

Why on earth (ha ha)  would you want to use things like cement and PVA when you can make perfectly good earthen plasters without these? As Mark S. says,  It's not better living through 'bigger hammer' chemistry.

I would be willing to speculate that the Africans had this sorted centuries ago  - animal dung has often been a good standby, and it sticks like the proverbial.......  Then there are various plant extracts?

We have had great increases  in durability using cellulose fibres - totally mushed up and then drained old paper to you lot!   Too much increases shrinkage, but a goodly dollop sure helps a lot.

Using water that has had fermenting straw or other fibre in it also helps durability - don't ask me why.

And then there is the question of using limewashes - it uses only very thin layers, i.e. very small amounts, of the higher tech stuff.

We all know the future problems of cement based material over natural earth creates.

cheers

Graeme
Graeme North Architects
49 Matthew Road