[GSBN] Update, question re: proposed SB code (hay bales)

Jeff Ruppert jeff at odiseanet.com
Sun Feb 19 16:19:15 UTC 2012

Bale People!

Reading the discussion about codes while living in Afghanistan (where there are no codes) and building military facilities to ICC standards I say to all of you, WOW!

When enforced as intended the current U.S. building codes are incredibly difficult to maneuver and certainly not something that any sane human would wish upon another.  This is no more apparent than in a place where most people live in earthen block buildings.  Regulation costs money even if it means safety.  It's a tough choice no matter who you are.

As so many of you know, most of the world could care less about codes, much less the complicated ones we make.  That said, this work is amazing!  At this point we need to let it be submitted as a great body of work with our full support.  There will be plenty of opportunities later on to change things.

Furthermore, while most of us would like to see the current code, which is dominated by a few industrialized materials, broken wide open to all sorts of alternatives, we are at the same time subjecting ourselves to the same processes and regulatory frameworks those other industries have created to keep us out.  This will make many of us very uncomfortable, but it will be inevitable.  We will no longer be on the fringe and able to experiment in such a free-form fashion like we used to on may client-based projects.  Sure, we can try anything we want in our backyards, but where codes are involved, this will dominate.

Bale construction has come a long way in 15 years and I look froward to the next chapter as it plays out.  Thank you Martin and the rest of you who have contributed to a big step in such a positive direction.  I hope it supports bale construction in a similar ways the Pima County/Tuscon Code did in the late 90's, and more.

Hope to see you all in Colorado in September!

Jeff