[GSBN] Update, question re: proposed SB code (hay bales)

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Sun Feb 19 01:55:48 UTC 2012

Hello Derek,

A delayed reply.

I feel I am either about to talk you off a ledge, or that with this proposed
code I am about to push you (and others) off a ledge.

I think the proposed code is much less restrictive than you imagine (I¹m not
sure which version you¹ve been using as a basis for your comments), but I
will e-mail you the current version so you can judge for yourself.  If you
see anything that troubles you, let me know.

I don¹t want to go into a long narrative, so instead I will bullet point
this to try to clarify things:

* I resubmitted the proposed SB chapter on Tuesday with substantial
revisions.  I might be able to tweak a few things, but not for much longer.

* Both running bond and stack bond are allowed, with one exception (running
bond is required for structural walls with unreinforced plaster).  What
³widely used and successful bale stacking method² are you referring to, that
will be banned?

* Hay or other grasses are not banned.  But they¹re not specifically
mentioned as permitted.  That does make alternatives more difficult to be
used , but don¹t confuse that with them being banned.  One must go through
the ³Alternative materials and methods² section (which over the years is
what most SB projects have gone through in their entirety).  This same
concept applies to all aspects of the proposed code.  That window is always
open, and if one demonstrates equivalency, the alternative will be allowed.
Sometimes it¹s easy, sometimes it¹s a battle, and sometimes it¹s denied, but
the possibility is always there.

* Many provisions in the proposed code haven¹t been ³sufficiently tested².
Testing is leaned on wherever possible, but it¹s basis is a mix of testing,
research, established engineering principles, building code precedence,
common practice, experience, and logic.  There is an enormous amount of
judgment, and it is by no means my judgment alone.

* If this proposed code is adopted (odds against, it I hate to say)(but you
might like to hear), it would likely solve the problems of the New Mexico SB
code (it allows load bearing, doesn¹t require pinning, doesn¹t require the
bottom plastic wrap).  That is if the state of New Mexico adopted used the
IBC as its basis (I believe it does) and didn¹t remove the SB chapter.  It
might also box you into other corners, but again look at if for yourself.

* Overall, as I¹ve said before, I think there is significantly more to gain
than there is to lose by bringing this into the major model codes.  I and
others are trying to minimize any unintended pain, but there would likely be
some unavoidable pain.  Worth it on balance in my view.  But it would
improve and continue to be a work in progress, like all codes are.  Anyone
could propose a change during the periodic review cycles.

* I don¹t know if I should have put this out more methodically and
comprehensively to the entire SB world community.  It has had input from
many places (over the years).  I¹m doing what I feel I have the capacity
for, and still trying to serve the global community.  I know I offered it to
GSBN members about a year ago, and a few reviewed it.

All for now.

Martin