[GSBN] Update, question re: proposed SB code (hay bales)

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 9 02:24:26 UTC 2012

Hi Derek,

The code proposal doesn¹t define hay.  When words are not defined in the
code, they have ³ordinarily accepted meanings such as the context implies.²
A short dictionary definition of hay is ³cut and dried grass².  Which is a
rather cut and dried definition.

Straw is defined in the code proposal as ³The dry stems of cereal grains
after the seed heads have been removed.² (Though the allowed straw is
currently limited to five cereal grains - wheat, rice, rye, barley, and oat)
(am I missing any that anyone uses?)

Even without hay being defined in the code, I don¹t think hay vs. straw is
as fuzzy as you suggest.  However, I might ask ICC for their opinion on
whether hay should be defined.

Martin