[GSBN] more on straw bale home values

Dusty dusty at strawandtimber.com
Wed Feb 1 01:19:28 UTC 2012

Hello EJ,
One way to qualify the energy savings is to have the home HERS rated. This will give a direct comparison for how this individual homes energy performance compares to a national standard. Here in Gunnison, CO, an Energy Star straw bale home that sold 3 years ago was was re-appraised for approximately 10% more($30000) based on the energy savings from the increased insulation and other quantifying features based on the energy ratings.  This past year another straw bale home in our area had an assessed increase value, while other comparable stick build homes in the same development had a decrease in there assessed value.
If I can be of service to better define, outline, educate the HERS rating process, please let me know

Dusty Szymanski
Straw & Timber Craftsmen INC
dusty at strawandtimber.com