[GSBN] Only in walls you say ? (was re: Question about SB insulation at foundation/ceiling GSBN Digest, Vol 10, Issue 32

forum at lamaisonenpaille.com forum at lamaisonenpaille.com
Fri Jan 27 09:49:18 UTC 2012

I've used bales in a roof and I'm happy with the result. I'm not worried
about water in that case as good ecological solutions exist to shed the
water that might come from above and are still open to water vapour
coming from below (woodfiber panels).

I agree that getting them in place was not allways easy, even though the
roof trusses were well designed to receive the bales. It's difficult to
have plaster between the ceiling and the bales, to optimize the thermal
preformance, and filling the holes between bales etc. is time consuming.
All in all I found it more time consuming than I thought it would be and
I see no evident ways of making it go faster the next time arround. I
since figured that loose infill seems a more logical way to go in a
conventional roof. Just like the inclusion of ecological building in the
GSBN, rather than just talking SB, I find that it is 'healthy' not to
want to stick bales just everywhere as if it was the most magical
material out there.
And of course RT hits the nail on the head bringing our attention to sb
vaults. Maybe, like Chis Magwood once suggested on this (wonderful!)
GSBN, rather than making little improvements to conventional techniques
that have come to be by continuous little improvements, we should make a
big jump into an 'other dimension' ;-)

André - yes, please do pour me some of that dry stuff - de Bouter
France