[GSBN] Only in walls you say ? (was re: Question about SB insulation at foundation/ceiling GSBN Digest, Vol 10, Issue 32

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Thu Jan 26 21:18:36 UTC 2012

Hi Jorge

The cork oak will grow here but is no widely grown. In New Zealand we know of linoleum, and its modern version marrmoleum, and we use cork tiles for floors.   Of course we know about corks in one end of our wine bottles, rapidly being replaced by the screw cap.  If cork trees are grown, they appear mostly in arboretums. Cork is not locally produced so it is all imported, and therefore we do not see a great deal of solid cork in quantities useful for  insulation, although it did get some use in the past for cool room insulation before lovely foams arrived.  That does mean that there is a tiny amount of demolition material around but not in useful quantities as far as I know. I have not priced new stuff but I suspect it is very expensive.

Graeme
Graeme North Architects
49 Matthew Road
RD1