[GSBN] SB wall height limit (was Clay plaster language for IBC)

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Thu Jan 26 15:35:18 UTC 2012

Thank you for your response, Martin,

I am glad to hear that the proposed maximum height to width ratio is being increased, at least in some cases.  It would be interesting to hear from David or Matts about the 5.6 to 1 ratio in the 1995 Arizona code.  This would not have reflected some of the historical Nebraska SB structures, which they both had studied.  Let me be clear, that I don't consider the multi-decade survival of a handful of taller-walled strawbale buildings to be proof that these designs are safe enough and reliable enough for a building code.  They are interesting data, but far from proof.  I put more faith in the university testing, but perhaps those tests aren't convincing to some of the engineers involved in the code proposal that you are working on.

I'm guessing from your words in the second paragraph about mesh and pinning, that the compression straps used by many builders would not be sufficient.  If so, it sounds like the proposed code will still ban two-string bales on edge, as practiced by some of our more experienced builders, that is, 8'-9' tall walls without mesh or pinning.  Internal pinning, as commonly practiced, and endorsed in the early writings of the SB revival, is of dubious structural value.  I'm surprised that it has the endorsement of the engineers involved with this proposal.  But maybe the internal pinning that you mention has different requirements.  I would be interested is seeing the specifications for the endorsed pinning options.

Will there be any distinction in the code proposal between building in seismically active zones, such as the Pacific Coast, compared to more seismically tranquil locations?

Thanks again,

Derelict

Derek Roff
derek at unm.edu