[GSBN] Only in walls you say ? (was re: Question about SB insulation at foundation/ceiling GSBN Digest, Vol 10, Issue 32

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Wed Jan 25 18:17:46 UTC 2012

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 19:48:09 -0500, <GSBN-request at sustainablesources.com>
wrote:
> Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:07:52 +1030
> From: "Bohdan Dorniak" <bohdan at bdcoarchitects.com.au> wrote:

> Strawbales should only be used in walls

[huge big <snip>]

It'd be interesting to hear (read) the thoughts that are knocking around
in the Skillful Meany's noggin in response to Bohdan's declaration (above).

For those who may not recall, John played a starring role in the creation
of :

              http://www.skillful-means.com/projects/vault/lou_harrison.htm

Come to think of it, I would imagine YakWoman's noggin might have a few
rattles to contribute as well:

        http://www.one-world-design.com/international.asp?pid=11&image=35

That is to say, bales would seem to lend themselves well to being used as
the insulation core for thin-shell and exo-skeleton-type domed and arch
structures, where the straw could be installed as a continuous layer
uninterrupted by framing members.

So long as a ventilated rainscreen-type cladding were provided over top of
the exterior plaster and a wet-applied plaster with temperature/shrinkage
reinforcement incorporated applied to the interior to ensure an effective
air barrier,  I see no reason why Bohdan's declaration could not be
revised to include "roofs".

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")