[GSBN] Clay plaster language for IBC (GSBN Digest, Vol 10, Issue 20)

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Jan 19 19:30:35 UTC 2012

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 12:24:12 -0500, <GSBN-request at sustainablesources.com>
wrote:

> From: martin hammer <mfhammer at pacbell.net>

> The notion that all code language should be performance-based is frankly
> nonsense.

No more nonsensical than trying to incorporate prescriptive standards for
a material, into a Code which aspires to be used internationally, without
first having an evaluation protocol in place which can be used to provide
competent performance data from which a reasonable level of expected
performance can then be selected for the purposes of prescriptive
specification ... I would argue.

As support for that argument, I would simply point to the mess that
surrounds the R-value of straw in American codes. Exporting that mess to
other jurisdictions is not only undesirable, it is I hope, unlikely.

If we're talking about desired performance from a material for the
purposes of Code specification (which it appears we are), then we're
talking about material properties data obtained from testing (ie anecdotal
evidence is not data). (ie Clay plaster specifications is a "clock"
problem, not a "cloud" problem).

For the testing to be recognised as being valid internationally, a
competent evaluation protocol needs to be utilised.

The example of specifying "20% moisture content" as proof of the utility
of a prescriptive standard is I think, a poor one. It provides no
assurance to a homeowner that the straw will provide a reasonable length
of service life ... whereas requiring a certain level of performance of
the assembly in which it is used, does.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")