[GSBN] Clay plaster language for IBC

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 17 08:10:49 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I proposed a Strawbale Construction section for the International Building
Code (IBC) on January 3.  I have been allowed by the International Code
Council to make adjustments until January 25, before the proposal becomes
public.

I have continued refining the language with a structural task force (that
has worked on this since October) as well as obtaining input from the
Structural Engineers Association of California, a long time opponent
strawbale construction in building codes.  They are now pulling on the same
end of the rope.  Dan Smith and John Swearingen of this list have helped
adjust the non-structural language.  I also received input from Andy Mueller
of this list for a renewed Northeastern US perspective.

One area of this ³code² I feel is under-developed is the part on Clay
Plaster (and secondarily Soil-Cement).  An entire section is devoted to
³Finishes², which is mostly about plasters.  This includes clay,
soil-cement, lime, cement-lime, cement, and gypsum plasters.  For the last
four plaster types I reference long-standing sections of the International
Building Code or ASTM Standards (with a some adjustments for use of these
plasters on strawbale walls).  Wherever possible (and wherever not
inappropriate for strawbale) it is best for this proposed strawbale section
to be in sync with the IBC and its referenced standards.

However clay plaster (and soil-cement plaster) is new territory for the IBC.
New language must be forged here, but it needs to be code-appropriate as
follows:

* Minimum practice, not best practice.
* Enforceable
* Says what shall be or shall not be done, not what should or may be done.

Would anyone from this list (with good clay plaster experience) like to be
part of a mini task force on this issue?  If people let me know by end of
Wednesday January 18, the individual or small group (no more than 3?) would
have through Monday January 23 to propose language.  I could send you what I
have currently off-list or you could choose to be blind to it.  Looking at
existing language regarding plasters in the IBC or in ASTM standards (if you
have access to these), is not mandatory but might be useful.

Is anyone willing and able?

Thanks.

Martin Hammer