[GSBN] earthen floors (resilience)

Chris Magwood chris at chrismagwood.ca
Tue Jan 10 01:18:43 UTC 2012

Literal resilience, as measured deflection, is not really where the
smiley sensation is coming from, I think.

Earthen floors have a unique surface texture and density and level of
conductivity, and it is this that imparts the feeling of "softness". And
because the floors are handcrafted they tend to be less than perfectly
flat. The human foot was not really designed to operate on perfectly
flat surfaces, and so this adds to the feeling underfoot. Stone and
concrete tend to feel cold, which is nice on warm days and a lot less so
when it's cold. Softwood floors also tend to get smiley raves,
especially older, well-worn softwood floors. They are cupped, dented and
less thermally conductive, and that combo seems to sit (or stand) well
with most people.

I'm glad my earthen floors don't literally squish, and equally glad that
they make my feet squishy happy!

--
www.chrismagwood.ca
www.endeavourcentre.org