[GSBN] earthen floors

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Mon Jan 9 23:22:38 UTC 2012

Early on in the discussion, I took the liberty of posting Derek's questions
as a comment to the article, and asked for the author's response, which is
as follows:

 CHARLES J KENNY

12:13 PM ET

January 6, 2012

response<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/01/03/paving_paradise#comment-922681>

I am justly accused of lazy linking. Below is a link to the underlying
paper by Gertler and colleagues, you'll see the effects I'm talking about
on p.21-22 ("We find high
elasticities for all the outcomes studied. The elasticity of parasites is
-0.78, which means that a 100% increase in cement floors would reduce the
presence of parasites by 78%. Similarly, we find that the
share-of-cement-floors elasticity of diarrhea is 0.49 and that
for anemia is -0.81." )

The paper uses a pretty careful discontinuity design, a later version was
deemed worthy of publication in the AER, but I'd welcome further comment on
percieved weaknesses.

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Tracy Thieriot <tracy at tactileplastering.com