[GSBN] health (ill) effects of earthen floors

David Arkin, AIA david at arkintilt.com
Thu Jan 5 19:53:39 UTC 2012

Jorge:

Beautiful presentation of a beautiful home ... nice work!

Your inexpensive yet durable and effective solutions could literally be both a budget and a life saver for many (not to mention a good option for many others, and a climate saver as well ... at lease the article acknowledged the greenhouse gas impacts of concrete and asphalt, albeit at the very end).

Thanks for the Hope!

David

On Jan 5, 2012, at 9:36 AM, Van Krieken wrote:

> I also prefer to use ciment/lime for the floors... and the result can be really very unexpensive and beautiful. I do the finishing with white ciment and mineral pigments and a 2 or 3 layers of acrilic waterbased vernis (could not found nothing better yet), to really protect the floor from wines, oils, etc...
>
> The material's price:  about 2 euros/m2 (!!)
>
> Here is an exemple: http://www.strawhouses.carbonmade.com/
>
> Hope for 2012
>
> Jorge Van Krieken
> Portugal

*  *  *  *  *
Arkin Tilt Architects
Ecological Planning & Design

CoolCalifornia.org
2011 Small Business of the Year
http://coolcalifornia.org/article/2011-award-winners

David Arkin, AIA, Architect
LEED Accredited Professional
CA #C22459/NV #5030

1101 8th St. #180, Berkeley, CA  94710
510/528-9830
www.arkintilt.com

"There is no way to peace. Peace is the way."
— A. J. Muste