[GSBN] Catalan vaults

Bruce King bruce at ecobuildnetwork.org
Tue Dec 13 00:08:55 UTC 2011

Very well put, Derek, and I completely agree.  I've been following
this thread and mulling on the skill required to set thin bricks or
tiles without falsework in a way that gives a safe (and heavy) roof
overhead.  Even a slight deviation from perfect geometry will hugely
raise the risk of collapse, and I'll bet there have been plenty of
failures, both modern and historic, of such structures that weren't
quite right.

Similar problem:  Haitians are now hugely averse to sleeping under
concrete floors or roofs because so many of the inherently flawed
structures they built before the earthquake came down, and hard.
Any time you're putting weight overhead, you want to be super
careful.  (Duh.)

I wouldn't try a Catalan dome of unfired earth bricks for anything but
the smallest spans, and then with lots of other redundancies.
Compressed earth blocks maybe a little bigger, but not much.

All that said, they sure are beautiful, and elegantly solve the desert-
dwellers problem of creating roof spans without any lumber or other
unbendable beam thingies.    Can't wait to some day visit Auroville
and see all that famous great work.

Thanks,

Bruce "the Thingie" King