[GSBN] Catalan vaults

Andy Horn andy at ecodesignarchitects.co.za
Mon Dec 12 17:42:53 UTC 2011

Hi Chris
I was fortunate to travel to Mexico about a month ago and while there in a
place called san Migel I saw what are known as "Boveda" domes /
vaults....they are a special kind of vault / dome space that is very flat
....very practical ....and in some of the old churches appeared from
roundings on the sides to curve into these flat stone slabs ....they were
the quite remarkable structures.

I did a guided tour of some houses and saw a modern house, which had used
the same technique to build all its roofs. I then learnt that apparently
there was 1 old builder who had still known the technique and someone
wanting to build with this old method had discovered this old guy and had
given him the chance to teach his method to some younger builders. It has
since gone through something of a revival in the area and has become a
celebrated local vernacular with many newer houses now  using this
technique.

They look like what  know as a  "squinch domes" , howev er in Mexico they
take it to another level in terms of flatness and weaving into vaulted
spaces as well. I can send you pictures - or any others of you if are
interested. If you google Boveda dome you will find quite a bit of it on the
web and even on U-Tube.

I also have a friend there that could hopefully put you in touch with
someone who knows the construction method more intimately.

Kind regards
Andy Horn