[GSBN] Penetrations in straw bale walls

Lance Kairl sabale at bigpond.com
Wed Dec 7 07:00:56 UTC 2011

Hi Laura,

It always surprises me when I come across NO ducting, boxes or sleeves, as
in the photos attached.

Installing ducting, conduits and sleeves or boxed out sections makes so much
sense.

One building recently put all water , hot and cold and electrical in the
bottom plate assembly and built the wall on top of it,

I feel that when there is a problem  with the water leaking(for instance) it
will be so much harder to locate and rectify.

My favourite type of electrical mounting block is no longer made, so I now
have to seek out a suitable replacement.

It was a plastic box that conduits firmly pushed into,

And solid enough  to screw through any side into blocking etc.  Some of our
other metal and plastic ones have push out sections

For conduits, the holes are usually larger than the conduits,  and are on
all sides, making the box weaker and less sealed.

The photos are from a building that we are now in the process of repairing
after and electrical fire,  Who would have guessed.

My pet hate is straw exposed to the back of electrical switches and light
fittings.

\cheers  Lance

www.houseofbales.com.au

Australia