[GSBN] Decrement factor of SB walls

Van Krieken vankrieken at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 23:40:19 UTC 2011

Hi

The best source of information about this issue (and many others concerning
insulation, thermal mass, etc) it is the book writen by Jean-Pierre Oliva
and Samuel Courgey ( L'Isolation Thermique Ecologique).

Citing their book, page 175, concerning a wall with wood structure and
straw bales with medium density (80 to 110 Kg/m3, strawbale section
34x46cm. Vented façade in exterior, and interior with clay render.

Thermal loss U (W/m2K) / R (m2K/W) .................................. 0,13
/ 7,76
Losses due to thermal
bridges............................................... 4%
Daily indoor heat capacity (kWh/m2K)................................ 15
(strong)
Sequential indoor heat capacity (kWh/m2K).......................25 (medium)
Phase shift (hour) / mitigation of the heat flux (%)............... 16h /
13%

Unfortunately, this book is only in English. Jean-Pierre Oliva, is one of
the best known french bio climatic architects, and since many years a great
enthusiast of straw bale building. His books (also La Architectire
Bioclimatique) can be found at Amazon.

All the best

Jorge VK
Portugal