[GSBN] [nbne] Re: Fwd: Question on straw-bale house foundations

Tim Owen-Kennedy timok33 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 17:33:44 UTC 2011

http://www.anchorpanel.com/

Is a system where you frame on piers and girders and then suspend a metal
panel from the rim joist into the foundation trench. the panel is cut and
bent on the bottom and there is no form work and very little rebar.

If you are paying for labor this can be very cost effective. We've used it
more on irregular shaped structures because it saves all the tedious form
work. It also allows for you to start building the full frame before you
have poured concrete if weather or inspections are an issue.

If you're doing it all yourself you could probably salvage metal floor
decking and make it work. It's a farely fool proof system. It's especially
well suited structurally for our seismic conditions but I don't know how
easy it would be to estimate a factor of safety for vertical loads in heavy
snow country.

It's pretty ugly so we do a rock foundation in front of it that the plaster
sculpts out onto.

We know of someone who super insulated underneath their home with pumice
behind the anchorpanel. Though I haven't heard the conclusion of that
experiment.

It works really well on sloped sites too. Up to 7 feet (2+ meters)

Best of luck,

Tim

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Graeme North <graeme at ecodesign.co.nz>wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Interesting
>
> In New Zealand we are generally not allowed to put solid plaster systems on
> a wall that is not supported by a continuos reinforced concete footing -
> this is to help prevent in-plane flexing from any timber movement or
> flexure, earthquakes, and/or  seasonal ground movement, any of which may
> translate into cracking of the plaster skin.
>
> Has this been an issue with these off-ground systems?
>
> cheers
>

> Graeme
> Graeme North Architects
> 49 Matthew Road
> RD1
> Warkworth
> tel/fax +64 (0)9 4259305
>
> graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
> www.ecodesign.co.nz
>

> On 16/09/2011, at 10:41 AM, John Glassford wrote:
>
> G ' day
>
> We have built several straw bale homes now on piers bearers and joists.
>
> I have just recently updated our web site and put up some photos.  None of
> these homes insulated the floors.
>
> Obviously our climate is a whole lot different to Alberta's.
>
> Piers Bearers and Joists<http://glassford.com.au/main/building-menu/foundations/other-methods/piers-bearers-and-joists/>
>
> Do they work for straw bale?  Sure do, however not our preferred method for
> foundations.
>
> The Straw Wolf
>
> Mountains of the Moon Climb 2011
> http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org

Tim Owen-Kennedy, Owner
Vital Systems, natural building & design
P O Box 751, Ukiah, CA 95482
www.vitalsystems.net
888.859.6336