[GSBN] Natural ventilation.

Tom Hahn tomhahn at econet.org
Wed Aug 31 03:18:35 UTC 2011

Being just an architect (not a powerhouse of building science like
some on this list...), I hesitated to point out what Rob has so noted
below... but I have the same concern about whether passive (or even
powered...) flow from a 4" opening will do much toward the stated
whole-house cooling goals.

We had a student here this past semester at Ecosa propose something
similar.  I suggested then that he  do some quick "back of the
napkin" thermal/airflow calculations to check the maximum theoretical
effectiveness before spending too much time and "tech" on the control
mechanisms to make it happen...  Prescott's soil temp's and cooling
loads are, granted, much higher than Ontario, but it was a long way
from making a dent in the total cooling needs.

Tom