[GSBN] [Strawbale] Mycotoxins (GSBN Digest, Vol 35, Issue 20)

Mark Bigland-Pritchard / Low Energy Design Ltd mark at lowenergydesign.com
Sat Mar 26 00:08:38 UTC 2011

If I were them I would not have a great deal of trust in the architect.

However, in response to Rob, /stachybotrys atra /is not the fungal
species that I would be concerned about at the design stage.  If local
relative humidity gets up to the levels where /S.Atra/ can thrive, then
other problems will have occurred too.  And the climate in southwest
England (where I used to live) is much more humid than that in eastern
Canada where Rob's examples come from, so humidity issues need more
careful attention.

The mould species to pay attention to in design are the xerophilic
primary colonisers - primarily /eurotium /spp and /aspergillus /spp.
The most xerophilic appears to be /aspergillus repens/: at 20degC its
mycelia can grow at about 75% rh - higher rh values are required at both
lower and higher temperatures; and spore germination also requires
higher rh values.

My own findings - based on computer modelling - indicate that
properly-designed, properly-detailed, properly-constructed strawbale
buildings are safe from /aspergillus repens/ growth in a humid temperate
maritime climate, provided that (i) relative humidity indoors is
controlled below 70%, and (ii) high vapour transmissivity plasters and
renders are used (i.e. clay and lime plasters, preferably with no use of
Portland cement whatsoever).  I think that most (maybe all) experienced
sb builders in that climate zone in Europe would confirm this from
practical experience.

Mark