[GSBN] Earthen floor sealer in Haiti. Use oil (not blood) . . .

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Fri Mar 25 05:45:20 UTC 2011

Hello all,

Below are thoughts from an important member of our BWB strawbale team in
Haiti regarding the idea of using blood as a sealer / hardener for the
earthen floor.  Regine Laroche is an architect and the only Haitian member
of our design team.  The informative GSBN discussion about this included two
of our builders in Haiti, Andy Mueller (lead builder and initiator of the
discussion) and Tina Therrien (who is doing the finish floor), and
eventually led to an internal discussion about how we would finish the
floor.  Blood was being considered, and after biting my tongue (but not to
the point of bleeding) I expressed my preference for not using blood on the
floor of this building.  It didn¹t feel right to me personally (note: I¹m
not vegetarian) and I questioned how it would be received by Haitians (as
did Derek Roff from BWB).  So I put the question to Regine and here is her
response:

Subject: Re: Floor finish.  Use oil (not blood) . . .

Hello

Touchy, touchy subject!
I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years, and personally find the idea
highly distasteful.  It's true that no animal will likely be killed
specifically for that reason, and in some respect the notion of recycling
ironically applies here.  However, we are talking about a substance that
carries the very essence of life itself- even to the point that we humans go
to great lengths to store it up and transfer it  from original "donors" to
"recipients" for life-saving purposes.
More importantly, it seems to me the issue of cultural biases you pointed
out, Martin, is KEY.  I will venture to say that if you do use blood as part
of  finishing procedures for the floor, chances run HIGH that people will
perceive this in a totally different light and associate it with ritual
sacrifice and even the so-called "dark arts" (notice: I didn't say "vodou",
a term many allow themselves to use without having ever bothered to
seriously research its actual content).  Remember, we are dealing with a
culture that believes everything is endowed with consciousness and that
beyond the end of physical life, some subtle essence (soul or energy)
persists.  I'll be curious to observe the fate of a house people know to
have been treated in such manner.
I have never heard of such practices in construction here, but since many
things  no doubt escape my radar, I have asked a few people more familiar
than myself with local traditional construction practices.  All had never
heard of it either and were shocked at the prospect.

Food for thought!

Regine L.

You can follow the preceding thread below if you like, including my
ponderings and Tina¹s thoughtful considerations, but suffice it to say, the
subject is quite charged in Haitian culture.  I¹ll broaden this to say that
it points to the importance of considering culture and context in all
building decisions, including materials, how they are used, and of course
all aspects of functional and aesthetic design, including matters of
symbolism and meaning.  It¹s not to say one can never go against or try to
break through cultural bias if one believes they have good reason (including
in one¹s own culture, as we often do with strawbale itself!), but it should
be done knowingly, with good and wise intention, and understanding of
consequences.

Martin Hammer