[GSBN] earthen floor sealer in Haiti

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Thu Mar 17 18:51:29 UTC 2011

I don't know the book that Jorge mentions, but I have a couple of
concerns about the quoted text.  First is a safety concern about the
statement "Another option is to boil the boiled linseed oil".  Heating
any oil should be done with extreme caution, and attempting to boil an
oil will almost certainly cause a fire and/or severe burns to the skin.
These might be pluses if one is defending a medieval castle from the
invading Visigoths, but for floor work, heating oil via a heated water
bath is much safer.  I suspect that most people on this list are
familiar with the risks of spontaneous combustion from the rags or
bushes used to apply the linseed oil, but this causes many fires each
year.  Rags should be allowed to dry outside in a single layer, such
has hung on a fence or clothesline.

Boiled linseed oil contains chemical "driers", which are frequently
metallic salts.  They don't use lead anymore (or so they claim in the
USA), and most of the driers are not volatile, but I favor avoiding
toxins as much as practical.  Bill and Athena Steen discuss
pre-processing raw linseed oil by leaving it in shallow pans in the
sun, with a class covers, for several weeks.  This helps the raw
linseed oil cure faster when it is applied to the floor.

Linseed oil itself gives off volatile organic compounds (VOCs) as it
cures, and I find that I get sick to my stomach if I get much exposure.
Most people don't have that problem.  In addition, the cheaper linseed
oils usually have strong, objectionable odors.  And, of course,
solvents have lots of VOCs.  Commercially available citrus solvents
frequently contain various petrochemicals, and I don't agree with the
quoted text below that they are a more environmentally friendly choice.
It's really hard to say, without picking specific products.  Care is
needed in any case with solvents.  I believe that turpentine from trees
is generally safer and more pleasant than the commonly substituted
mineral spirits, derived from petrochemicals.  Some people are more
sensitive to turpentine than non-petrochemical citrus solvents, for
others, it's the reverse.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu

--On Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:42 PM +0000 Van Krieken