[GSBN] earthen floor sealer in Haiti

tina therrien strawbus at auracom.com
Mon Mar 14 22:43:43 UTC 2011

Thanks for all of your suggestions & input for the sealer- Jean Louis,
one of our Haitian builders, is going to try to procure coconut oil
from the market, which we'll test, although he just arrived, and as
with many materials here, the coconut oil is proving more difficult
and expensive to find than originally anticipated.  If we do the
finish floor today or tomorrow, there should be enough time for it to
cure by Saturday. Apparently they slaughter a cow just down the
laneway every Saturday, so we may even be able to use some cow blood
to seal the floor.

I have found reference to molasses before in terms of finishes, and am
now even more curious about it, but don't think we'll have time to try
it out here, at least not for this project.

Any other tips for earthen floors, either finish coat or for sealing,
are welcome. I'll stay in close touch with Andy Mueller regarding the
floor- I know he wishes he was here to work on it! Pics to come.

page about this project- both a blog and a photo gallery (http://www.builderswithoutborders.org/
) Apart from that, both Andy Mueller & I have blogs. My personal blog
is about various natural building projects I'm involved with here, and
personal impressions of being in Haiti...certainly not all about
building, but there are a few segments dedicated to building
(including compressed earth block, earth bag, and soon to be light
clay/straw if all goes well). http://strawhomes.blogspot.com/ (you'll
have to skim through to find building photos & stories).

tina

Camel's Back Construction
Quality, handcrafted homes
www.strawhomes.ca