[GSBN] The Straw Stuff

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Tue Mar 8 16:52:11 UTC 2011

Like Bruce and Chug, I have some concern about increased fire risk.
However, it seems likely that if you have stuffed the straw to the same
density as a bale, then your fire resistance should be similar.  With
the caveat that Bruce mentioned, of conditions changing dramatically
if/when the lath burns and allows the straw to decompress.  I'm not
sure that it would suddenly decompress, but it might.

It would be interesting to build a test wall section, leave it for a
couple of months, and then cut through the lathes.  That would give
some idea of whether the straw would acquire a compression set and be
fairly stable in its packed form, or whether it would still be eager to
unpack itself.

I'd like to hear more about how you determined the density of the
stuffed straw.  I'm guessing that you found you could pack a bale of
straw into less than a bale's volume in the wall.  Is that right?
Chris, do you have any sense of how consistent the density was/is from
edge to edge and top to bottom?  I would have imagined that the lathe
would bow outward significantly, under the pressure necessary to reach
bale densities.  If I understand your posting correctly, that didn't
happen.

How would you compare cost and time for stuffing straw in this way to
filling a similar wall cavity with dense-pack cellulose?  "The Straw
Stuff" is a very interesting experiment, and I'm glad that you shared
your information with us.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center