[GSBN] earthen floor sealer in Haiti

forum at lamaisonenpaille.com forum at lamaisonenpaille.com
Tue Mar 8 15:57:53 UTC 2011

 From discussions with Bill and Athena I understood that they use
linseed oil for sealing their floors mostly because it is (where they
have worked) the cheapest one and that they typically let the oil sit
for a long time (weeks or months I don't remember) in a 5 cm deep
container under glass and exposed to air (not closed) to oxydise(?) the
oil so that it will harden faster than if the oil was to be used fresh.
This might also help improving other oils.

A word of warning for those on this list who might not be familiar with
working with linseed oil: cloths etc. that have been soaked with linseed
oil can auto-combust if left on a heap ; when no longer using them leave
them out to dry or contain them in a closed metal container.

Please make a small webpage showing some pictures that we can all link
to our websites). If you don't have the time to make such a page, I
volunteer to make one available on my website if you sent me pictures
and a small text. I feel it is important to let the world know about
your SB work in Haiti.

Good luck finishing the building,
André
France