[GSBN] The Straw Stuff

Bruce King bruce at ecobuildnetwork.org
Tue Mar 8 15:39:58 UTC 2011

I don't think anyone has replied to Chris' post (have you?).  I don't
have much to add, other than the almost obvious concern about fire --
you're describing a monolithic bale wall (no strings, no bales, just
compressed straw).  A failure of the plaster/lath in a fire could
release the packed straw, as has happened in bale structures when the
strings were exposed and meltable, which would then feed dry straw to
the flames.  A major bummer, as we say in California.

On the other hand you are neatly avoiding the well-known problem of
moldy straw-clay, which happens even in our dry western climates;
it's hard to fully dry out a mass of wet straw-clay.

You have greatly reduced one risk (mold) while increasing another
(fire), and simplified your labor cost/time.  I'm not sure that even
this august group has collectively enough data points to properly
evaluate how much you changed either risk, or whether that's a worthy
tradeoff.  I guess I'm inclined to say go for it -- pack that dry straw!

Thanks,

Bruce King, PE
Director of EBNet
Ecological Building Network