[GSBN] Barbara Jones video from EcoBuild Conference in Europe

Jakub Wihan kuba at jakubwihan.com
Sat Mar 5 19:08:52 UTC 2011

Hi Mark,

thank you for the post!

It is so good to see and hear Barbara. I think the methods she is
mentioning are well suitable for other climates. What do you mean
exactly? Shallow foundations without cement? Maren and Rikky are
building this way in Spain, I believe. I'm helping to build the
buildings the way I learned at amazonails in the Czech Republic,
Austria, Siberia. Do you think that Siberian traditional log houses
had deep foundations? They didn't. Building moved a little time to
time that is true, but much less than Darcy Donovan's strawbale
shelter on a shake table.

Building professionals are usually too scared to do things some other
way they are used to. That is why Barbara is so unique in her approach
that comes from thorough understanding of her trade which is stripped
from everything unnecessary and also in bringing her common sense to
arguing that makes some people rethink the basics, some people humble
and some people angry.

Kuba