[GSBN] building in Haiti LOE (GSBN Digest, Vol 35, Issue 3)

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 3 20:04:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 13:00:02 -0500, <gsbn-request at greenbuilder.com> wrote:
EuroRay wrote:

> Another option is a very thin exterior lime plaster wash working as a
> protective rain screen for the more susceptible earthplaster.

Is a genuine, ventilated, rainscreen cladding over the earthen plaster
feasible ?
(keeping in mind the "Vandal proof" and "loo-oo-King goo-ood" criteria
stated earlier)

The rainscreen might be in the form of site-cast, tilt-up panels (possibly
with the future occupants adding their own embellishments (ie to the
"cookies" while the mud is still plastic and in the horizontal position)
... embellishments in the form of moulded/beaded edges and/or inlays
and/or incised carving and/or pattern stamping etc.

Or it might be in the form of a masonry veneer, the blocks being cut from
urbanite.

Or whatever other readily-available local materials might suggest
themselves.
(ie salvaged sheet metal formed into pans ... or salvaged tempered glass
assembled into insulating panels  (like spandrel glass) etc. assuming that
the most plentiful building materials available are those which were
released from their previous job as a result of the quake destruction )

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom