[GSBN] Under slab and edge insulation at doorways

Laura Bartels laura at greenweaverinc.com
Fri Feb 11 01:17:22 UTC 2011

As Kelly mentions, I have used perlite as an underslab insulation in the demonstration project I'm building right now called the 2nd St. LIFE Project. The house has a shallow frost protected footing. Inside that, we used the masonry fill perlite over 5 inches of washed gravel and under the radon barrier. It was placed in woven poly bags (though this was not the original packaging) and tamped to 7 inches, with an R-value of R-21. Any remaining voids were filled with loose perlite before installing the sealed radon barrier. If it had been in woven poly from the manufacturer, it would have saved much time on our part. But overall, we liked the compaction and R-value, and we certainly hope that we find no surprise indoor plant life growing in the earthen floor!

During our research, I had found that Daniel Silvernail had been using perlite and had written about it for CASBA, and on his website at http://63.249.122.147/blog/?p=55.  The Supreme Perlite owner shared example of its use under earthen floors in the NW. I learned that Lydia Doleman and Sukita Crimmel had been incorporating it as well. Perlite has been used in under floor applications with concrete and wood floors as well.

I am also excited to use sheep's wool batt insulation (I know this is nothing to you all down under) in our roof from Black Mountain USA. Our shipment just came yesterday.

Laura (always willing to jump off a cliff) Bartels

"Leap and the net will appear" - John Burroughs

Laura Bartels
GreenWeaver Inc.
520 S. Third St., Suite 5
Carbondale, CO 81623
970-379-6779
www.greenweaverinc.com

We've moved to the Third St. Center
http://thirdstreetcenter.net/
A community place promoting inspiration, sustainability and creative exchange