[GSBN] Under slab and edge insulation at doorways

Kelly Lerner klerner at one-world-design.com
Tue Feb 8 15:47:13 UTC 2011

Hi all,
In an effort to get away from the global warming potential of and fire retardants in rigid insulation, I'm beginning to design with compacted perlite as under-slab insulation in strawbale houses in Spokane, WA (east side of WA - cold winter - 6800 heating degree days, high desert, dry - about 16" rain/year, water table is usually quite low and soils are well drained).

I've found a relatively local source for perlite(Portland) and the costs for R-value are comparable to or less than rigid insulation. I'm installing perlite under the slab and wrapping it up the edge of the slab (on the interior of the stem wall - under the strawbale wall), but I'm having trouble detailing "slab edge insulation" at the door ways. Anyone have any experience or thoughts about the right approach? Contact me on or off list. Thanks!

In case you're wondering about perlite, here's a link: http://www.perlite.com/faqs.htm

Kelly Lerner, Architect
One World Design Architecture
509-838-8812
www.one-world-design.com

Have you read Natural Remodeling for the Not-So-Green House? Available in Bookstores across the Universe.
www.naturalremodeling.com