[GSBN] Emerald update (GSBN Digest, Vol 33, Issue 17)

Kelly Lerner klerner at one-world-design.com
Fri Feb 4 11:56:32 UTC 2011

My (late) two cent's worth to add to RT's thoughts on EPS under bales.

I agree that EPS is overkill in terms of insulation and has the added problems of possibly creating moisture issues and is loaded with fire retardant (in addition to the issues of global warming potential, susceptibility to insect attack, high embodied energy, etc).

I'm moving towards using compacted perlite as under-slab insulation in Spokane, WA. I wonder if you have any natural, mineral based material like perlite or pumice locally available? If so, you might want to check it out. Just a thought. We used a cavity brick wall filled with pumice-like coal slag as an insulated wall at the base of strawbale walls in northern China. Not perfect, but locally available and a good moisture resistant wall base under strawbale walls.

Thanks for sharing so much of your process. Huge gift to the SB community!

On Jan 27, 2011, at 11:22 PM, RT wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:00:03 -0500, <gsbn-request at greenbuilder.com> wrote:>
>> Message: 1
>> on Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:21:17 +1000
>> "Chris Newton" wrote:
>> Re: Fw: Emerald update
>
>> Currently we plan to replace [all of the flood-damaged bales] with engineered high density expanded polystyrene foam blocks.
>>
>> Of course we are really interested in any other greener product out there that will meet the needs, we have a few months up our sleeve to explore and experiment.
>>
>> I guess we are now looking at replacing 2 layers of bales around the whole building. I hear conversations between Lance and Col about supporting the upper bales in various ways while the damaged bales are removed, and having to put a new capillary layer on top of the expanding foam.
> [snip]
>
> (for full text of message/thread, see
>      http://greenbuilder.com/pipermail/gsbn/2011q1/001252.html )

Kelly Lerner, Architect
One World Design Architecture
509-838-8812
www.one-world-design.com

Have you read Natural Remodeling for the Not-So-Green House? Available in Bookstores across the Universe.
www.naturalremodeling.com