[GSBN] Update on Emerald Floods.

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Wed Jan 12 00:10:59 UTC 2011

A few reactions the ideas below.

6.  The dehumidifier sounds useful as long as the atmospheric humidity
remains high.  However, if the air outside the building is really
damp, I don't know how much success will come from drying the inside
air.  Can the inside be sealed from significant air movement to/from
outside (ie, windows and doors closed, no large gaps)?  If atmospheric
humidity goes down, you can probably pull out more moisture with open
windows and doors, plus fans, for lots of air movement.

7.  I'm guessing that the migration of humidity into the water
crystals will be fairly slow, at least after the first cycle.  I would
suspect you could get more drying with air movement.  After record
rains in Washington DC soaked the first row of bales in a
demonstration ecohouse, we had good luck reducing the moisture levels
in the bales by as much as 20% in a day or so, by removing multiple
cores (~70mm diameter) of straw, and blowing air towards/into the
resulting hollow spaces.  Our highest moisture levels were around
40%.  Your levels are so much higher that this technique may not
work.  Laura Bartels led the way on this idea, and may have more to
say.  When the bales were dry enough, we stuffed the holes with loose
straw.

9.  Compressed gasses are very dry, and releasing them can cause local
cooling to temperatures below where mold likes to grow.  It would be
worth checking to see how the molds that you have like CO2.  Some
microbes like it, some like air.  You might get better mold
suppression with pure nitrogen, or another available compressed gas.

Good luck,

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center