[GSBN] Help us help in Haiti

Tracy Vogel tactileinteriors at hughes.net
Tue Jan 4 19:54:15 UTC 2011

Bruce,

This is great ­ when will the plasters be applied?  Any option of letting
large mixes sit and compost?

Here are two versions I¹ve used to process large quantities of raw
materials.

1) A large wooden trough with a sheet laid in and overlapping the edges
clamped to top of box, slightly tilted.  Lay a 2¹x2; or so window mesh
screen, ideally framed, on the uphill  corner.  We used a small imer mixer
to break down and suspend the clay and silt with a lot of water then poured
it off through the screen.  If any material did not break all the way down
we would add more water and pour it off a second or third time.  The screen
acted as an initial catch for the silt ­ most of the particles were larger
than the clay.  Fill the trough to the top.  Water gets whicked down into
the earth through the sheet and when the particles settle roll the lower
corner of the sheet back and under the top clear water and drain it off.  At
that point you will have material that is thick and ready to be mixed with
other materials and/or layers of clay and silt that can be more easily
separated.

Using this same set up you can set up multiple troughs either next to each
other and acting individually or stage to overlap at the corners or end with
spillways.

2) This is a modified system a la Nadir Kahlili:  I think he actually wrote
this up in one of his books, maybe the ceramic houses book...?  This is a
lower tech system digging large troughs in the ground and using them both as
the mixing ground and settling ponds.  Basically dig a series of troughs
with a slight slope and at the connecting wall(s) cut a channel and put in a
board or block to keep closed.  Mix the earth in  a lot of water and let sit
to let the water do part or the work of breaking down the dirt.  Remix with
feet, shovels, hoes etc and add water as needed to create a very thin
consistency.  As the particles settle open the channel and let the lightest,
longest suspended particles (hopefully your clay) flow into the second
trough.  Repeating to fill the lower troughs with clay.  The last trough can
also be the mixing plaster trough.

The channel could also be fitted with a screen.  If your silt is terribly
small consider doubling up the screening material.

Feel free to call for clarifications I¹m finding with the second babe in
arms the mama brain is not always articulate as intended.

Best to you and thank you all for the work you are doing in Haiti.

Tracy