[GSBN] Help us help in Haiti

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Mon Jan 3 20:46:24 UTC 2011

Hi, Bruce,

I appreciate your humor, and your New Year's salutations.  Sign me up
for the Hawaii Silt Vacation Sweepstakes.

Can you say more about the volume and efficiency that you need in the
system?  That would help us propose ideas that would be useful to
you.  For example, are you trying to process a hundred pounds of
soil, a thousand, or ten thousand per day?

What amount of "waste" soil is acceptable.  I'm guessing that your
goal is to get at the clay, and that the silt will be a unimportant
byproduct.  Is that correct?  In wondering about efficiency, I'm
thinking along these lines:  If the soil is naturally 20% clay and
30% silt, then the optimum system would extract 2 pounds of clay from
each ten pounds of soil.  What if you could only extract 1 pound of
clay from each ten pounds, but you got pretty good purity of that
clay.  Would that be acceptable?  Alternatively, what if a process
gave you 4 pounds of product from each 10 pounds of soil, but that
product was 50% clay?  Would that be useful?  If not, what sort of
purity percentage would be worthwhile?

Does this process need to be human-powered, or could electrical or
gasoline motors be a part of the machinery?  What is your "easy
enough" process for separating the sand and gravel?  Perhaps the clay
separation process could be added to the sand/gravel separation
phase.

I have some ideas, and have done some small-scale tests, but I'm not
sure they would fit your needs.

Dere-"particulate"-lict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu

--On Sunday, January 2, 2011 1:46 PM -0800 Bruce King
<bruce at ecobuildnetwork.org> wrote:

> Happy New Year, baleheads.
>
> We have a lot of soil in Haiti that is rich in both clay and silt.
> Easy enough to separate the sand and gravel, but we haven't figured
> out a good way to separate silt from clay.  So far we've tried:
>
> 1) Asking nicely
> 2) Offering every silt particle a chance to win a Hawaiian dream
> vacation if it separates itself from the clay
> 3) Telling the silt that if it just leaves quietly now, no one will
> get hurt
> and, getting really hardball,
> 4) Hanging a few "example particles" of silt by their silica
> crystals  in the public square, with warning notes attached.
>
> Still no luck!  Anyone have a good low-tech field method for
> separation?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruce "Hang 'em High!" King

Derek Roff