[GSBN] Help us help in Haiti

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Mon Jan 3 03:47:04 UTC 2011

At 1:46 PM -0800 1/2/11, Bruce King wrote:
>Happy New Year, baleheads.
>
>We have a lot of soil in Haiti that is rich in both clay and silt.
>Easy enough to separate the sand and gravel, but we haven't figured
>out a good way to separate silt from clay.  So far we've tried:
>
>1) Asking nicely
>2) Offering every silt particle a chance to win a Hawaiian dream
>vacation if it separates itself from the clay
>3) Telling the silt that if it just leaves quietly now, no one will get hurt
>and, getting really hardball,
>4) Hanging a few "example particles" of silt by their silica
>crystals in the public square, with warning notes attached.
>
>Still no luck!  Anyone have a good low-tech field method for separation?

A couple of possibly good suggestions at
<http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/16841/How-to-separate-clay-silt-and-sand-from-heavy-clay-subsoil>
include both water separation methods and dry separation (essentially
winnowing).

A third suggests speeding the water separation using
electrocoagulation (see
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrocoagulation>.   You'd need to
research how much electricity would be needed, but it might be
possible with solar.

A lot of it hinges on the availability of time and/or labor.
--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>

Sustainable Building Calendar: <http://Calendar.SustainableSources.com>