[GSBN] experiences with AAC

Bob Theis bob at bobtheis.net
Thu Dec 23 19:56:24 UTC 2010

On Dec 23, 2010, at 7:28 AM, Derek Roff wrote:

> I was surprised to learn that AAC was invented and put into
> commercial production and use in Sweden, during the 1920's.  I
> guess it's been a bit slow to catch on in the USA.

Funny you should mention Sweden: I first encountered AAC  in
Stockholm in 1974. Poking around on a construction site, they were
making the partitions between apartments  ( hmm,   apart - ments;
never noticed that before; what would a togetherment be?  ) out of
these lightweight inert blocks you could cut with a handsaw. It
seemed very appropriate for that application.  As architecture
students, we thought it was hella cool stuff.