[GSBN] SB & Acoustics

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Fri Nov 12 19:12:02 UTC 2010

The acoustical advantages of strawbale walls, relative to other
effective sound barrier wall materials, are largely irrelevant in a
landscape or highway sound barrier wall.  Any non-perforated wall with
reasonable mass and density will work similarly.  Acoustic barrier
walls are valuable, but they can't stop sound coming over the wall.
The sound coming over the acoustic barrier will be the largest
component of noise, so optimizing the wall materials has rapidly
diminishing returns.  Making the wall taller matters much more than
improving its sound transference characteristics by a few percent (from
"very good" to "excellent").  But there are other factors that limit
wall height.

As Sarah and others mention, the long-term durability of a strawbale
landscape wall is a question affected by climate, prevailing winds,
design, and construction details.  Putting a roof on the top of the
wall increases its beauty and longevity, but also the cost.  It's
probably safer for drivers to crash into a strawbale wall, compared to
concrete.  Outside of that, I would tend to vote for another material.
Strawbale doesn't offer obvious advantages, and having a few sections
of wall fail, even if for reasons related to poor detailing, will
decrease the reputation of strawbale.

Best wishes,
Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu

--On Friday, November 12, 2010 3:42 PM +1300 Sarah Johnston