[GSBN] Post Fire Cleanup

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Thu Nov 4 19:24:01 UTC 2010

Kilz is the name on a whole line of different products.  I hadn't heard
it referred to as "nasty stuff" before.  I'd be interested in learning
more.  The MSDS for this Kilz product looks similar to other oil-based
paints.

<http://www.conncoll.edu/offices/envhealth/MSDS/buildingtrades/kilz.htm>

I found that AFM is the American Federation of Musicians.  A group
noted for their outgassing, objectionable to some.  Bill, can you give
us more of a hint on the AFM that you were referring to?

Thanks,
Derek

--On Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:06 PM -0500 Bill Christensen
<billc at greenbuilder.com> wrote:

> At 10:44 AM -0600 11/4/10, Habib John Gonzalez wrote:
>>
>> The final step was to repaint all the drywall with a product call
>> Kilz. The project designer described it as a vapour barrier paint.
>
> Another possibility might be one of the sealers made by AFM.  I know
> chemically sensitive folks who use it to seal in outgassing from
> conventional building materials, and I suspect it could also be used
> for fire odor.  Kilz is pretty nasty stuff itself - even the water
> based version.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100