[GSBN] Fwd: [SB-r-us] Attic fire, in a straw bale duplex.

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Thu Nov 4 15:50:25 UTC 2010

Sorry to hear that sad news.  If we are going to get a comprehensive
answer to the fire odor question, we are going to need a lot more
fires.  Any volunteers?

>From the description, it sounds unlikely that much smoke got into the
bales.  That could be tested by cutting a few test holes, removing some
straw, and testing it for odor.  I think you would have to quickly seal
the straw in an airtight container, and move it to a different
location, in order to give it a reliable sniff test.  If the straw
smells clean, then the odor concerns are with everything else.  I would
cut some samples of the plaster, too, and sniff test them in a neutral
location.

My only slightly relevant experience is with fires in a few adobe
houses.  While the fire odors are sometimes very strong and persistent,
my impression is that earthen plasters are not a big part of the
problem.  But coating the plaster with "black, stinky rivulets" of fire
extinguishing by-products is outside my experience.  Each fire is
different, of course.  If the odors in the plaster are mild, perhaps an
additional coat of plaster would suffice.  Maybe American Clay would be
interested in helping with some testing.

Pondering:  Shellac can be effective in sealing in odors on wood,
wallboard, and gypsum plasters.  Perhaps it could be used on earthen
plaster, although I have never heard of anyone trying it.  Lime wash
might have some positive effect.  What odor remediation techniques are
commonly used after fires in buildings with plaster walls?

A concern is that odors that are localized at the moment will have
months to permeate everything, presuming that major rework and cleanup
is delayed until next Spring, as Frank mentions.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu

--On Thursday, November 4, 2010 7:10 AM -0700 John Swearingen