[GSBN] Question for you

Chris Magwood chris at chrismagwood.ca
Sun Oct 17 16:55:50 UTC 2010

  Joyce,

That same question can be asked about all too many systems that are
significant improvements on their mainstream counterparts, not just
straw bale. So there's a meta-answer to that question, and then there
are straw bale specific answers.

The meta-answer has to do with our natural human tendency to keep doing
what we've always done and improve it in small, measurable ways rather
than change to new systems. To sum it all up: Humans are good at doing
things better, but lousy at doing better things. We'd rather tinker with
slightly improved cars than figure out a new transportation system. Etc.

The straw bale specific answer is one I've thought lots about. The
bottom line is it's just too messy and inexact a technique to be put
into widespread, mainstream use. It's next to impossible to train people
to do straw bale without lots and lots of on-site experience. There are
too many ways to do it, too many variables and inconsistencies. From
getting the bales (which are always differently shaped, sized, weighted
and priced) to the different kinds of framing, plastering, etc, the
whole process is well suited to owner-builders or committed
professionals, but no so friendly to the guy (and yes, I'm being gender
specific here!) who just wants to build some houses for a living, or the
developers who want to hire him to do that. We all love these parts of
straw bale building because we're attracted to innovation, creativity
and community involvement in building. We are a minority. And if you're
not one of us, the whole thing is just too much to bother with. And
having spent a long time making a living as a builder, I know that it
was only because my clients were highly predisposed to want a bale
building and were willing to put up with all the hiccups a bale building
entails (tarps, mess, plaster finishes...) for all the advantages we
know and love. But for most builders and homeowners, the scales just
don't tip in that direction.

This is the reason I've been so keen to develop the prefab strategy I've
been working on. This year, we built walls for our Habitat for Humanity
build that were cheaper than their conventionally framed option and
still had all the benefits of bale building. They are now interested in
buying bale walls for future projects. But this is only because they
show up pre-plastered, and fit perfectly according to the plans. There's
no way the same organization would consider using site baled walls.

So I think the honest answer you need to give your questioner is that
there are too many disadvantages to bale walls. They don't detract from
all the things we see as advantages... those advantages are real and
should be weighted heavily. But everybody has to weigh up their options,
and from a mainstream point of view, the scale still tips towards bale's
disadvantages.

Chris

www.chrismagwood.ca