[GSBN] TLS -Putting a Project Together

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Tue Sep 7 15:30:19 UTC 2010

I suppose the risk of having financing revoked is fairly small.  But
using this strategy for insurance could easily mean paying for
insurance for years, and then finding out that you don't have any, in
the case of major or catastrophic damage to the house.  Insurance
companies have a financial motivation to avoid paying claims.  If they
have a defendable position to say that they were misled in the
insurance application, they can choose not to pay, in the case of a
fire or major structural damage.  The owner then has to sue, and see
what the courts decide.

I wouldn't want to be in a lawsuit with an insurance company in any
case, but especially not if I was waiting for payment, in order to
repair my seriously damaged home.  In some cases, the lender might be
on the home owner's side, trying to get the insurance company to pay,
in order to defend their asset/collateral.  But is seems possible that
in the scenario being discussed, the lender might decide that they had
been misled as well, and immediately demand full payment of the
mortgage.  Refinancing wouldn't be an option, right after major damage.

The decision of whether to pay for insurance, or not, is something of a
gambling proposition in the best of circumstances. Paying for insurance
that probably wouldn't pay out when needed seems like stacking the deck
against yourself.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu

--On Monday, September 6, 2010 1:41 PM -0700 stoneandstraw